Upwork is one of the most popular freelancing platforms. It is an American company that was founded in 2015. It is a perfect place for companies to find talent for their projects or for freelancers to find work relevant to their skills. The company has a free plan as well as paid packages. For the free plan, you get 60 “connects” every month which is basically a sort of token used in the platform which gets used up when you apply for a job posting. Today, we are going to take a look at Upwork alternatives.
As a freelancer, you may often increase your chances of getting hired if you promote yourself on multiple platforms. These alternatives to Upwork are some of the best options out there for freelancers. So, check them out.
Sites Like Upwork:
Fiverr is one of the best options out there if you are looking for Upwork alternatives. It is a site available globally. So, people from everywhere can use this site to look for work. It works similarly to many other marketplaces. If you want to offer your services you create a profile on the site and then you list your services and your rate.
People looking for specific services will search for it on Fiverr and if they find your services and are interesting in contacting you then you will get a request which you can then accept or reject as you see fit.
- Fiverr is just a sort of intermediary like a talent broker. It ensures that both parties involved in the transaction are happy. This is why a lot of people look for freelancers on this platform.
- The commission taken by Fiverr for each transaction is 20%. S0, whenever you sell your services to a buyer Fiverr withholds 20% of the amount. If you deliver on your promise and the buyer is happy you will get your money within 2 weeks.
- Talent from all over the world offers their services on Fiverr. The name of the company came from the fact that originally each gig was $5. But of course, once the company grew it had to remove the $5 limit. Today, one can find all kinds of services on Fiverr.
Supersourcing is a hiring and freelancing platform that is new to the business of outsourcing. However, it has a lot of potential, as the founders of the company understood that the outsourcing industry is not at its most efficient. That’s why they created a platform so that businesses can find quality talent to get their projects developed.
Instead of wasting a ton of time looking for the right people to execute your work Supersourcing provides you with highly qualified engineers in the IT field that are experts in their domain and can execute any work given by the client in their field.
- All the engineers that offer their services on this platform are very qualified. Supersourcing verifies all the talent and ensures that only the best ones are on the platform so that companies have no issues finding the right person for a job.
- Even in the short tenure that the company has been active, it has gotten a lot of achievements. For instance, more than 6000 projects have been completed by engineers on the platform.
- The engineers that you will find on this platform are experts in all the latest and the best technologies used by companies today in the IT field. From web development to mobile development to UI/UX design to blockchain development and much more.
Skyword is a platform for freelancers involved in the web content industry. If you are a content writer, content marketer, SEO expert etc. you can freelance for this company. Thus, the company is specifically focused on providing quality content to businesses as a part of its marketing strategy.
Any company that wants to widen its presence online and wants to market its brand using blogs, articles and all kinds of content can find freelancers at Skyword.
- The company hires freelancers from all over the world. Currently, freelancers from over 46 countries are working for Skyword. Thus, you can get your content written in different languages if you want to. The platform can be translated into 14 languages.
- Companies use Skyword to beat their competitors using content marketing. When you work with the company you end up saving a bunch of time and resources by focusing on work that’s important.
- The company understands the correct mood of the consumers. People are ready to consume stories and content but do not like interruptive marketing. With Skyword you get the power to navigate the industry in the most efficient and effective ways.
PeoplePerHour is a company from the UK. Many consider it to be the Fiverr of the United Kingdom. Anyone from across the globe can work on the platform or hire talent for their projects. PeoplePerHour is very similar to Upwork. Businesses and companies can share the projects for which they are willing to hire people.
While freelancers make their own proposals for projects that they are interested to work on. This makes the platform more geared towards professionals and helps businesses connect with the right people for the job.
- The company provides a communication or messaging interface that has been built into the platform. This makes it easier for clients to connect with the freelancers and keep tabs on how the project is progressing.
- The client’s money is protected by PeoplePerHour. At the start of the project, the client has to pay an advance. But the rest of the money is not shared with the freelancer unless the client approves the work.
One of the closes alternatives to Upwork is Guru. The company strives to ensure that its platform is an efficient and effective way to connect companies and freelancers. Everything is done based on merit. Talent can come from any place in the world and provide companies with quality services for their projects.
Guru provides a flexible and secure environment to both parties so that the services can be delivered safely while transparency is maintained.
- Guru is a company that does not like to be static. It keeps evolving day after day to adapt to the changing needs of the clients and the market. New tools and services are incorporated duly whenever the need arises.
- The company boasts a 99% satisfaction rate. 800k employers from across the globe have used this platform to find freelancers for their projects.
- The company has completed 1 Million paid invoices and has transferred over 250 Million Dollars to the freelancers working on the platform.
If you compare the numbers and the sheer volume of people working and the number of projects then Freelancer.com is one of the largest platforms with over 58.9 Million employers and freelancers using the platform. The company is active in over 247 countries, regions, and territories.
Any company or employer looking to hire freelancers to work on their projects can register on the platform and look for quality talent. It is easy to use the platform to find the right person for your project. Visit the website now to check out the various services.
- You can easily search for freelancers within a certain niche. Just visit the site and provide your requirements. You will find a list of freelancers to browse through and choose the ones that interest you.
- Another way to find talent for your work is via job posting. You create a posting for your job and put in the requirements and money you are willing to spend and freelancers can then bid on the job.
If you are looking for developmental work then one of the best Upwork alternatives is Hubstaff Talent. The freelancers here mainly offer services in the development niche. A lot of freelancers on the site work for affordable rates while providing quality services.
But of course, if you want verified talent with high expertise then you have to pay more. Hubstaff Talent has a lot of quality freelancers working on the platform so you don’t have to worry about not finding the right talent within your budget.
- This is a completely free resource for any company that is looking to hire people for any project.
- The platform or rather the website is very user-friendly. You can easily search for freelancers based on any niche making it easier to filter the best results for your need.
The last entry on the list is Toptal. If you are looking for talent on demand then Toptal might be something that you should check out. Organizations looking for the best people to work on projects cab find the right people on the platform. Over 10k people from more than 100 countries work on this platform. So, far more than 10,000 clients have hired talent from this site.
- Whether you are looking for software developers, designers, illustrators, finance experts, project managers etc. you will find many experts on Toptal.
- You can easily work with any freelancer and if you need to scale up the requirements then you can easily do so via the platform. All the experts maintain top-tier communication levels and professionalism.
How to Use Upwork?
We saw the various alternatives to Upwork. So, if you are interested in Upwork alternatives check out the sites mentioned above. In this section, we will be briefly looking into the basic steps involved in setting up an account and getting started with Upwork.
- The first step is obviously to visit the site. Search for Upwork and click on the website link. Once you are there click on Sign Up.
- The platform gives you the flexibility to sign up with either your Google account or Apple account or your work email. The first two options reduce the steps of entering username and password and certain info.
- Next, you have to add your personal info. These are basic info like your first name and last name. If you want to choose a password for your account and your country.
- Now, depending on whether you want to hire freelancers or become a freelancer yourself, choose one of the options. Upwork will create a profile based on this choice.
- Once you have created an account it is time to tell Upwork about your work experience, add skill tags, add your photo, work history, overview etc. All this is needed to ensure that clients know what your expertise is. Also, this info will keep on changing as you acquire new skills or you refactor your profile based on the market needs.
- You will have to go through a list of items to complete your profile like expertise, expert level, language, hourly rate, education, location etc.
- Once you have completed all this you need to provide some identity proof and do an online visual verification. Upwork will then review your profile.
Upwork will now verify your profile. If everything goes well you will become a freelancer on the platform and clients can approach you or you can submit your proposals for any project.
In conclusion, Upwork is probably one of the best options for freelancers out there. Some of the top experts in different fields use this platform to look for projects to work on. If you are just starting out your freelancing career then you have to be patient. Be consistent. Keep upskilling yourself and editing your overview and profile to fit the market needs.
Submit proposals. If possible do some work pro bono. It will help build a client list and you can ask your client to write a review or reference for you. Be consistent and constantly keep evolving your skills and learning new stuff. To get more visibility you can also register on the other websites we have mentioned. Those platforms are quite good as well. We wish you all the best!